Membership is open to individuals at all levels of genealogical experience. Meeting with others who share an interest in genealogy is fun as well as informative.
Annual Membership Dues are:
• Individual = $20.00
• Family = $20.00 for first member plus $5.00 for each additional designated family member at the same address per year.
• $20.00 per Sponsor.
Any organization interested in furthering the interests of genealogy in Lee County may become a Sponsor. That organization shall receive a copy of the Scribe but shall not have a voice on the Executive Board or have the right to vote.
A $3.00 charge is added to the initial enrollment year for new memberships.
The membership year runs from January through December.
New members joining after October 1st of the current year will receive the balance of the year free with paid membership through the following year.
Monthly meetings are held on the third Thursdays at 1:00 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall of Cypress Lake Presbyterian Church, 8260 Cypress Lake Drive, Fort Myers. Meetings are free and open to the public.
At both meetings, a brief business session is followed by a time for members and guests to network with meeting attendees. After, a presentation of helpful research concepts, topics of genealogical interest or historical information to supplement members’ research is given. Guests are always welcome.
Members also have opportunities for networking by attending the Special Interest Groups held in various locations in the Fort Myers area. These informal discussion groups are a forum for LCGS members to share research, ask questions and participate in problem solving. Enjoy the friendship and fellowship of people who share your concerns, needs and interests, and who will delight in your research progress.
A quarterly newsletter called The Scribe is published in March, June, September and December. It contains articles of interest to researchers on a variety of current topics, announces future programs, and provides helpful hints on computer research. Our newsletter is sent to members with email and posted in our "Members Only" section. Members without email will receive a copy via the U.S. Postal service. For those of you that would like to receive a printed copy of the newsletter via postal mail, the Executive Board has approved a $10.00 newsletter fee per year, to cover printing and mailing costs in addition to your yearly membership dues.
The Lee County Genealogical Society Website provides members and guests with current information.
- Members will have access by using their personal user name and private password.
- Find real time member contact information available.
- Member Secure Download Area where members can retrieve LCGS Bylaws, Standing Rules, Handbook documents, and more.
- Starting with our March 2010 newsletter, members with email will receive theirs by email. Members without email will receive their copy through the U.S. Postal service. Copies will also be available in the Members Download Area.
- Members will be able to stay in touch with Society business by reading the minutes of our General and Saturday Quarterly meetings online as well as our Financial Reports.
- Society sponsored events including dates and locations, including information from the various special interest groups.
- Workshops, seminars and meeting of other societies in Southwest Florida and nationwide.
Surname List – searchable surname list with option of private email contact with LCGS researcher.
- All current members of the Lee County Genealogical Society are invited to submit a listing of surnames they are researching for display in our Surname List on our website.
- Surnames and places are spelled exactly as each member requests, which may lead to multiple entries if the surname or location has been found to be spelled various ways. No first names are included but many times alternative spellings are connected with the entry.
- LCGS members have the responsibility to reply directly to the email requestor who requested ancestor information.
- The Genealogy Department Shelf List for the Fort Myers-Lee County Public Library, located at 2050 Central Avenue in Fort Myers, Florida, is presented as a service to library patrons and to distant researchers.
- Now search over 8,700 genealogy related reference items in the Genealogy Collection by Call Number, Title and Author. Materials include reference books and periodical articles.
- This shelf list is for personal use only. Reproduction of this list for commercial use is strictly prohibited.
- Presentation handouts can be easily downloaded, printed and added to your genealogy reference library.
- LCGS has developed partnerships with many Internet genealogy websites that offer assistance in genealogical research through the purchase of books, magazines and subscription services. These partnerships allow the Society to receive small referral fees which are used to purchase additional Genealogy Reference Books for the Genealogy Collection at the Downtown Fort Myers-Lee County Public Library at 2050 Central Avenue in Fort Myers, Florida.
- We hope when you are joining or renewing services from our partners, you will remember to access them through our website.
- See our LCGS MarketPlace for more details.
Lee County, Florida Marriages 1887 – 1924
- Published by the Lee County Genealogical Society in 1992, this book abstracts marriage records found in the Lee County Courthouse. Included are the names of the bride and groom, their residences, marriage date, witnesses, the presiding official, and the book and page number of the original record. This book is currently out of print.
- You can find this book in the Public Download Area.
- The book is for personal use only. Reproduction of this book for commercial use is strictly prohibited.
Periodically, organized field trips to libraries or genealogical seminars in other cities are offered
Assistance from your genealogical society is as near as the telephone or computer. Members are knowledgeable about local and online resources or can direct you to someone who has the expertise you need.
Follow us on Facebook